Sunday, November 2, 2008

Their Songs

Each of my children have a song that I sang (or sing) to them when they were babies. For whatever reason, a certain song would just root itself firmly in my brain and become my go-to for lullabies or just for playing around with my little babies. M&M knows her song. She blew J away last night as, while he was holding her, I would begin singing her song and her eyes would get real big, and she would do all she could to look over at me. She didn't have this reaction when I was, per request, singing the other children's baby songs. . . just when I sang her song.

So, for posterity's sake -- and because I'm already having a hard time remebering Bud-Jack's (you loose brain cells with each pregnancy, I think), here they are:

G's song was Sweet Baby James by James Taylor. Except I edited it to say "As the moon rises, he sits by the fire/thinking about [cookies and glasses of milk]" instead of "women and glasses of beer."

Teeny's was Daydream Believer by The Monkees. Probably because she had a tendancy to cry a lot (still does).

Bud-Jack's was All I Have to Do Is Dream by the Everly Brothers. Not sure why, actually. . . it's just what came to mind with him. Also not sure why I have such a hard time remembering that one. I guess I get it confused with a handful of other oldies.

M&M's is My Cherie Amour by Stevie Wonder. Again, not sure why. But the song has become her's. And, unlike with the other babies, I now have a child or two old enough and interested enough to catch on and sing it to her also. Sometimes we have a little trio going in the living room as she smiles gleefully at our crooning.

Do I have a song for J? Well, in our tumultuous dating years, we had a rough assortment of songs that we thought defined our relationship. However, we haven't really found a song to suit our marriage. Although, I found myself really feeling a draw toward Shania Twain's You're Still the One around the time we got married. Hmmm.

No comments: