Friday, November 6, 2009

Changing the Atmosphere of My Home

It is funny how verses you've read in the Bible over and over and over again one day just click in your brain like never before. I've recently had this happen with a handful of some old favorites of mine. God just decided to help my brain, soul, and heart make the connections with these verses and show me how, if I became of doer of these words, I could drastically change the atmosphere of my home.

I have 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 taped up in my bathroom: "Rejoice always; pray without ceasing; in everything give thanks, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." If I decide to do this, my house will be filled with the sound of praise to God, every situation that arises will be taken immediately to God in prayer and will be greeted with thanksgiving and peace rather than doom and gloom.

Colossians 3:23 is a very well know Bible verse that states a common Christian ideal: "Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men." When I put this verse into practice in my day-to-day life, I let go of mediocrity and a poor attitude in the chores and tasks I have to do. I do each and every task to the absolute best of my ability, with a great attitude, because every task is an offering to God. Every chore is a sacrifice that I offer up to God.

When I do laundry three times a day, I come face to face with Philippians 2:3-4 which is taped up above my washing machine: "Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves; do not merely look out for your own personal interests, but also for the interests of others." It's a wonder to me that these words are just now beginning to take root in my heart. The atmosphere in my home is probably most greatly affected by my pride and self-centeredness. They lead to every harsh word, every frustrated sigh, and every complaint that comes out of my mouth. Imagine the difference in the home's atmosphere when mommy doesn't spend her time trying to earn a reward or break with her work, when she looks at the needs of her husband and children as more important than her own, when she lets go of her own personal interests for the sake of fulfilling those of her family.

3 constantly re-read verses out of my Bible:
  1. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18
  2. Colossians 3:23
  3. Philippians 2:3-4
7 radical changes in my life:
  1. Fill my home with the sound of praise to God.
  2. Pray immediately about every situation as it arises or as it pops into my head.
  3. Thank God in every circumstance rather than complain or fret.
  4. Do each mundane task to the best of my ability as if it were a sacrifice I was offering up to God.
  5. Stop using my hard work at home as a manipulative tool to get "rest" or "time alone" or some other thing I'm desiring.
  6. Look at my husband and children as being more important than myself.
  7. Make my husband's and children's interests a priority, even at the expense of my own interests.
1 home full of peace and joy and love.

No comments: