Philippians 1 has absolutely nothing to do with marriage. In verses 1-11, however, Paul is talking to the Philippians about his love for them and how it affects his thoughts, prayers. . . he also addresses their love and how it ought to affect their decisions and actions. With these verses, I compiled a list of six questions to ask myself on a regular basis to keep myself in check as I seek to show unconditional love to my husband.
- Do I thank God every time I think of my husband? (vs. 3)
- Do I constantly pray for my husband. . . with joy? (vs. 4)
- Do I get irritated with his shortcomings? Or do I choose to love him unconditionally, knowing that God will change and grow my husband over time? (vs. 6)
- Do I long for my husband? (vs. 8)
- Does my love for my husband overflow to the point of bearing on all my decisions? (vs. 9)
- Do I speak affectionately to my husband? (vs. 12)