Monday, July 6, 2009

Simple Woman's Daybook ~ My Parents Are Coming. . . Yay!


For Monday, July 6, 2009:

Outside my window. . .
. . .the sun is shining. It promises to be a beautiful week for my parents' visit. I'm very glad because they are coming from cold, wet New England weather that they are not yet used to.
I am thinking. . .
. . .about family unity. I had the opportunity to talk with an experienced homeschool couple. The husband/father summed up exactly why I most want to homeschool -- to create family unity. . . so that we will be the group that my children belong to when they look for fellowship, support, help, a sense of belonging and acceptance. . . Even before we met them I was talking with J about having a theme for our family this year: "We are on the same team." Now I'm left contemplating what unified families have that disjointed families lack. How can I create that sense of unity? I'm pretty sure this homeschool mom would tell me to prioritize my family, to discover what makes my husband and kids tick and capitalize on it, and to create experiences that the whole family can enjoy together. . . What else? Any thoughts? I also know that a healthy marriage turns out a healthy family.
I am thankful for. . .
. . . the dresses and skirts that my mother-in-law made for Teeny. I can't even begin to tell you how much money that saves us. And what she makes is so much better than what I could buy at a store -- nice and modest.
From the learning rooms. . .
. . .I'm still planning for fall. Trying to figure out what I want to do about phonics.
From the kitchen. . .
. . .there is not much going on. I've got to dig up my July menu and do some shopping ASAP.
I am wearing. . .
. . .ironically, the same exact thing I was wearing this time last week!
I am creating. . .
. . .mental plans for a Christmas in July. More on that next week.
I am going. . .
. . .to stay right here and clean and get ready for my parents' arrival this evening.
I am reading. . .
The ABC Murders by Agatha Christy
and some book about the creation of the VW. Very interesting. I started reading this to J in the car on the way home. I had no idea the VW Beetle was a Nazi car. Hmm.
I am hoping. . .
. . .for a fun, h-e-a-l-t-h-y visit with my parents this week. Last time they visited, a stomach bug welcomed itself to our gathering, and it was pretty miserable. I'm praying God keeps us all good and healthy this time.
I am hearing. . .
. . .Teeny calling for help in the bathroom. I'll be right back.
Around the house. . .
. . .oh,my. I have a lot of work to do.
One of my favorite things. . .
. . .mystery novels. I had no idea. I must take after a mother. I have found that a good mystery sucks me in and won't let me go till I've finished. All sense of responsibility disappears. Kids may cry, phones may ring, food may burn, the clock may tic till the wee sma's, but I must figure out "Who dunnit."
A few plans for the rest of the week. . .
Cleaning,
My parents' visit,
Boys' Night/Girls' Night on Tuesday,
Small Group on Thursday,
Baseball Game on Friday
Here is a picture thought I am sharing. . .
. . . I haven't gotten to downloading the July 4th pics yet. Pics will come when I get a chance to do that.
Stop by Peggy's for more info on how to join in on the daybooking fun!
Stop by Grandmother Wren's to read more daybooks.

4 comments:

A happy heart at home said...

Hi! I enjoyed reading your daybook. I hope you have a wonderful visit with your parents.

We've been homeschooling for 15 years with two more years to go! :)

~Susan

Jerralea said...

Great daybook! I hope your visit with your parents is a great time, and everyone will stay well.

I'm like that with mystery novels, too ... that's why I can't read them before bed or I stay up all night!

Liz Tolsma said...

Have a wonderful visit with your parents. And it sounds like you are on the right track toward a unified family. We've been homeschooling for 5 years and I really enjoy it.

Elena@ Precious Treasures said...

Christmas in July sounds great - you can experience what it's like for us with Christmas during the summer. I love it.

Have a wonderful week with your parents.

God Bless.
Elena :)