Monday, April 20, 2009

A Family Is. . . The Birthplace of Creativity

From Chapter 3 of Edith Schaeffer's What Is a Family?

Things to Ponder:
  • How can I allow myself and my family freedom of choice and expression?
  • How can I encourage my children and husband to be creative?
  • How can I make every project successful to some degree? Or, how can I soften the blow of failed projects?
  • How can I personally pursue creative outlets? Which ones am I good at? Which am I interested in? How can I use these to show love to my children and husband?
  • How can each of my children pursue creative outlets? Which ones are each of them good at? Which are each of them interested in?
  • What are some ways that we can be creative together as a family?

Things to Do:

  • Create an atmosphere in the home that is conducive to creativity. Build up a store of supplies for musical, theatrical, artistic and other creative outlets. Allow time for creative pursuits.
  • Come up with creative projects in order to get the ball rolling or to keep it rolling, yet be open to the creative ideas of others in the family. Actively listen to the thoughts, ideas, and plans of others in the family and help them make their ideas come to life.
  • Allow for messes. Don't be scared to make supplies accessible.
  • Listen, look, and watch. . . and then respond positively.
  • Decorate the house with natural and handmade items, specifically those made or collected by members of the household.

Reflection:

  • Genesis 2:19-20a ~ "Out of the ground the Lord God formed every beast of the field and every bird of the air, and brought them to Adam to see what he would call them. And whatever Adam called each living creature, that was its name. So Adam gave names to all cattle, to the birds of the air, and to every beast of the field. . ."
  • How does the reality that God created humans to be creative as He is change the priority that I place on creative pursuits? How should it change my reactions to the creative pursuits of my husband and children?

Quotes:

  • "Freedom of choice, an absolute necessity for creativity, was there from the beginning. Being able to think, have ideas, and then to choose to make or do something, is essential to creativity."
  • "The environment in a family should be conducive to the commencement of natural creativity, as natural as breathing, eating, and sleeping."
  • "Just what is needed? An atmosphere of two-way communication, which involves listening as well as talking, and taking an interest in the other person's thoughts and ideas. A mutual trust is built up in carefully listening to even the wildest and most impossible-sounding projects."
  • "But the togetherness in projects is more important than the perfectly protected place for each individual's work."

No comments: