Saturday, April 25, 2009

Confessions of a Real Momma ~ Part 1

I was browsing through my pictures the other day, noticing how much "honesty" is wrapped up in a photo. Once something is captured on "film", there is no getting rid of the reality unless you completely delete/tear up the picture. No amount of blurring the backround on Picasa will hide some things. So, I decided to use some of these revealing photos as a prompt to "confession". Here are some of the things that really go on in our house. . .


Most days, my kids would rather play in mud than in a pool of clean water. . . so I let them.


Each of my kids know how to properly clean off a chicken wing by their first birthday.



All my children, save M&M, have already knocked out a tooth or two. G lost his falling face-first on the sidewalk during a game of tag, Teeny lost hers in a race to the bathroom, and Bud-Jack lost two falling off the sofa face-first onto a large basket. We are considering mouth guards or face masks for M&M.



Yes, I let my kids sit this close to the TV. Though I've read that sitting close to the TV is not really going to ruin their eyes. . . I guess the amount of TV I sometimes let them watch is the real confession.



My kids have almost complete access to my kitchen cabinets. They have always been allowed to pull out the pots and pans and storage containers and play with them or get inside the cabinets and hide away for a while. I even create a lower cabinet of plastic plates, bowls, and cups so that the kids can help set the table. I do, however, place breakables on an upper cabinet. They, at least, are safe until the kids learn to move chairs to get up on counters.



I took my kids on a cross-country flight, and this picture pretty much sums up how we all felt toward the end of it. G was 5, Teeny was 3 1/2, Bud-Jack was 1 1/2, and I was a few months pregnant. It was pretty hairy, and I would not have survived had it not been for my gracious mother-in-law. This picture, by the way, was taken during our lay-over in Las Vegas.



My oldest has already done time. Just kidding. Actually, my dear husband is slightly obsessed with prisons and has already taken our children to see two or three historic prisons. This picture is at an old prison in West Virginia -- sorry, I don't recall the name of the prison.



This is what our neighbors are apt to see if they look out their window on a summer evening. This is our version of a tractor pull.



And this is what our neighbors are apt to see if they look over at our yard on any given afternoon. My kids make a bit of a mess of they yard and deck. I'm pretty sure that if any of our neighbors have a difficult time selling their house, they will probably blame us and our trashy yard.
To be continued. . .

No comments: