Sunday, October 26, 2008

Early Morning with M&M

Since M&M and I are sleeping less and less these days, I thought I'd jot down a few random notes on the latest in our house.

We are getting the house ready for a *huge* gathering the first weekend of November. All of J's work associates and board members are coming for a chili cook-off and dessert bake-off. I'm wracking my brain to figure out what to bake -- so many baked goods, so little time. J will be making his favorite, Cincinnati Chili, for the chili cook-off. We also have a get-together to go to tomorrow night, on Halloween, and possibly mid-November. And then there is G's birthday.

J and I hired a babysitter and went on our first date in, oh, two or three years I think. That was wonderful. It was simple, dinner and a bookstore. But to walk around a bookstore instead of sitting by a wooden train set while three kids bring you an assortment of paperback Golden Books was just great.

We got my sewing machine out for the first time this afternoon. Now to use it. . . I have many plans for it. I have 10 hand-sewn quilt blocks that are dying to be used -- I think I'm going to piece something together using a tattered old comforter for batting. I have a little gift I want to make for G for his birthday. I'd like to make some skirt/pants for Teeny for winter. We need to cover the cushions in the sunroom. . . Time. I'm also putting together a Tastebook of family recipes and getting ready to "re-launch" another Tradition blog at the end of November.

G has "successfully completed" our second three weeks of school. I'm doing three weeks on, one week off. It's best this way. We must have similar personalities, because by the end of week three we are both whining our way through the morning school routine.

Teeny went on a "date" with J last night. He took her to the school's International Night Dinner and Talent Show. She had a good time being the center of his attention.

Bud-Jack is. . . well, two years old. Not much more could be said about that. What he has going for him right now is charm -- lots of charm. But his daily antics consist of such things as dumping laundry detergent on the dryer, filling muffin tins with milk and putting them in the oven, taking the covers off electrical outlets, getting into daddy's tools, starting the dishwasher when it is half-full or stopping it when it is half-done. . .

M&M is just not sleeping like she used to. Bummer. Needless to say, I'm tired. I do love holding her and nursing her and looking at her contented little face. Unfortunately, it is hard to see that beautiful little face in the middle of the dark, cold night.

And, speaking of the little one, I do believe she is ready to have another go at sleep. That should leave me give me about 3 hours in bed if she'll stay down till 7:30ish. Oh, Lord, have mercy.

No comments: